“We are the last generation that can fight climate change. We have a duty to act”
– United Nations Secretary General, Ban Ki-Moon 12 Jan 2015
What are you going to make 2015 about? Working less? Making more money? Going on a big holiday? Buying that new car? Spending more time with family? Getting fit? All of these are valid, but we invite you to take on a different challenge. Reduce your personal impact on the environment.
Not because you ‘should’, but because you choose to.
The options are limitless. Choose some ways that you will tread lighter on our planet. Ways that you are interested in, ways that light you up or inspire you. As an added bonus, you will most likely save money at the same time.
Once you have mastered your new ‘ways’ to tread lighter and they are just part of who you are, up the anti and take on some more. Here are a few to get you thinking:
- Buy less. Ask yourself “Do I really need this”? If you do, buy second hand, or borrow.
- Drive your car less. Ride your bike, car pool, walk or take public transport
- Go ‘disposable free’. Stop using disposable coffee cups, single use water bottles, plastic bags, take away containers, plastic plates and cutlery etc. There are some great alternatives.
- Inspire others – by taking action and sharing your experiences with others, you will inspire other people to follow suit.
Our family is taking on driving our car less. We are going to create a maximum number of km’s traveled for 2015, which is 15% less than 2014. This means riding our bikes more (we are 7km from our nearest town/shops/school), and taking the train more often (for social trips to Melbourne, we already take the train to work).
There is no time like now.